WHAT ARE DENTAL VENEERS?
Dental veneers are thin shells that have the same appearance as a normal tooth, they are normally attached to the front of the tooth to make the teeth look better. Veneers are frequently constructed from porcelain or resin composite materials. It can be used to treat several cosmetic problems like broken teeth, discoloration of teeth, and the unwanted space between teeth. Veneers are mostly applied to the top front teeth due to their visibility and common usage.
THE PROCEDURE FOR INSTALLING DENTAL VENEERS.
The process of applying a veneer is quite easy and often painless. Here are the steps that the dentist would take, to fully apply a veneer to your tooth/teeth:
1. Firstly, your dentist would have to create a veneer mold. It normally would take around one to two weeks for the mold to be created within the lab.
2. Within the second appointment, the dentist would assess the coloration, shape, and fit of the veneers to ensure that they are the right one for you.
3. Then the dentist would clean your teeth to prevent bacteria from being entrapped under the veneer.
4. Soon after, a grinding tool is used to produce a more rugged texture on each tooth that the veneer is to be fitted.
5. Afterwards, a binding agent is used to secure the veneer to the tooth. Ultraviolet light would be used to harden the cement that would secure the veneer to each tooth. This may be a temporary veneer based on the circumstances.
6. However, at your next meeting, the dentist will determine whether the veneers are fitted appropriately or if other adjustments would be needed. The veneers would be further bonded to each tooth.
Veneers should allow you to use each tooth normally, however, you may need to exercise moderation when it comes to biting hard food with your front teeth, and you shouldn’t practice doing anything with a veneer, that you wouldn’t with a normal tooth.
THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DENTAL VENEERS.
The dental veneers are created based on their different purposes. There are five main types of veneers available on the market today, they are:
These veneers are normally utilized for its ability to be removed when needed, this can be very helpful when one wants to feel what it would be like to have a veneer. They are normally formed from plastic and an elastic type of resin substance.
These are also called bonded veneers, they are created from composite material and can hold up around five to ten years. These veneers are polished to look like smooth milky white teeth, but are to a greater extent, inclined to breaking and staining than porcelain veneers.
Porcelain veneers are considered to be traditional veneers, they were created as an improvised fix, to improve the smiles of actors in the 1930s. These veneers are thin ceramic shells, that get bonded to the front side of your teeth. They normally last about ten years, but with a skilled dentist helping you maintain the veneer, it can last about 20 years. If you need a dentist, we recommend the one here.
Palatal veneers are more often than not manufactured out of gold, but they can be created from composite or porcelain materials. These veneers are used for the treatment of tooth wear.
Lumineers are normally made thin, but are the strongest dental veneer based on mass.These veneers are produced from a ceramic material known as Cerinate. Lumineers can be applied without grinding your teeth to fit and can last about 20 years.
Dental veneers can be used to fix or conceal cosmetic flaws that you have with a tooth. They can help create symmetry between each tooth, conceal the damaged tooth, and help in the overall functioning of a tooth. These veneers can come in different colors, shapes, and sizes. They can also range in both durability and cost. For example, Porcelain veneers are in general stronger, but they are much costlier than Resin-based composite veneers, which are less expensive but don’t last as long. If you are considering getting a veneer, you should discuss your options with an experienced board-certified dentist, for the best results.